SUBMIT YOUR STORY
Taking a Stand and Aiming High: Powerful Stories of Healing and Transformation
Sylvia High, Tony Lamair Burks II, and Thandiwe Thomas DeShazor, editors
ABOUT THE BOOK AND YOUR STORIES
Taking a Stand and Aiming High: Powerful Stories of Healing and Transformation shares real stories from real people. Has there ever been a time in your life when you felt you were knocked off course? Has a loss or setback ever dimmed your hope? Have you ever been faced with a challenge that seemed insurmountable? Has anything happened to you that shouldn't ever happen to any human being?
Your story may be something you've never shared before. Or maybe it has made headlines. Perhaps your story is deeply personal. Or perhaps you've been trying to figure out how to share it with the world. Whatever the case, your story holds an important lesson, not only for you but for others as well. And that's why we want to hear from you.
We will publish the stories of your challenges and the stories of your triumphs to touch, move, and inspire those who otherwise would never know the path you've walked to be who you are today. Whether you know it or not, your story could be a story of transformation.
WHAT YOU WRITE ABOUT
Your story should address these questions:
- What was your life like?
- What happened? How did you feel when it happened?
- Who and what intervened to make things different?
- What did the experience teach you?
- What is your life like now?
WAYS TO GET YOUR STORIES WRITTEN
There are many ways to get your stories included in Taking a Stand and Aiming High: Powerful Stories of Healing and Transformation. Even if you don’t think you’re a writer, you’ve got a story to tell! Here are a few ways to get your stories written:
- Write It! The most common way to get your story in this book is to write it down. We encourage you to write it, then read it to someone you trust. Ask them for their thoughts. What do they like about your story? What do they wonder about your story? What’s missing from your story? Take their comments to heart and revise what you’ve written before submitting your stories to us.
- Talk It! Google has a free Speech Recognition add-on so you can talk your stories into a Google Docs document (it only works with the Google Chrome browser, however). While Dragon NaturallySpeaking isn’t free, you can type as fast as you can talk–up to 160 words per minute, three times faster than typing by hand–with up to 99% accuracy.
- Tell It! You can schedule a call with the editors to tell us your story. We will talk with you about co-writing and ghostwriting options for including your story in the book.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR STORIES
Click HERE to submit your stories and an optional two-sentence bio. If we select your story for publication, you will receive three complimentary copies of Taking a Stand and Aiming High: Powerful Stories of Healing and Transformation. You will also be able to purchase additional copies of the book at a discounted price.
Stories Written and Collected: May 15-July 15, 2017
Stories Edited and Revised: July 1, August 15, 2017
Book Available in Paperback and Digital Formats: September 22, 2017
What we need now are stories; stories of people. The truth is that more stories of living and learning need to be told today:
Stories of principle; principal stories.
Stories of the playground, the classroom, the library.
Stories of our schools, our homes, our faith communities, our courtrooms, our boardrooms.
Stories of the White House. Presidential stories.
Stories of courage, of death, of life.
Stories of faith, hope, and love. Teaching stories.
Stories of the setting sun and of the rising moon. Stories of triumph and challenge.
Stories of healing and renewal and wisdom.
Stories of the oneness and importance of all living things.
What’s your story? Tell someone today. We’re waiting.
an excerpt from Bought Wisdom: Tales of Living and Learning by Tony Lamair Burks II
You, as the author, own the copyrights on your stories. Aiming High with Sylvia High and LEADright, as the publishers, will not limit your right to reprint and reuse your stories in any way.
Aiming High with Sylvia High and LEADright own what is is called the “collective work” copyright of Taking a Stand and Aiming High: Powerful Stories of Healing and Transformation as a whole. A “collective work” copyright essentially exists to ensure that no one can copy and sell the anthology without the publisher’s permission.
FOR QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Please contact Tony Lamair Burks II at email@example.com